September 14, 2010

Ch-ch-ch-changes

Ethan's grown up so much in the first week of school.

My sixth-grader struggled to remember to bring homework home. My seventh-grader did his homework on the bus ride to his cross-country meet because he knew it would be late when he got home. My sixth-grader cried the first time he had to carry his trombone on the bus because it was too "big and heavy". My seventh-grader carried his book-filled backpack, running shoes, gym clothes, and his trombone into school yesterday and looked at me like I was crazy when I asked if he wanted help. My sixth-grader forgot he brought cold lunch to school 3 times in a row. My seventh-grader has no problem remembering the combinations to 3 different lockers. My sixth-grader struggled to keep his desk, papers, and thoughts organized. My seventh-grader is excited to share his plan with me for how he remembers what to bring to each class, how he's created labels for every pocket in his planner, and how he gets all the way across the school with everything he needs to bring home in time to catch the bus that brings him to cross country practice. My sixth-grader left his backpack, trombone, homework, lunch money, etc. at home regularly and had to call me to bring them to school for him. My seventh-grader reminds me (2 days ahead of time) that his cross-country uniform needs to be washed for the meet on Thursday. My sixth-grader barely knew what a "Scarlet" (the school mascot) was. My seventh-grader is thrilled to be a Scarlet! He proudly wore his sweatshirt to school today declaring that fact.

I know there will be forgotten homework assignments and trombone-runs to school. I won't be surprised to find out Ethan has missed the cross country bus and needs a ride. I realize the enthusiasm over a new school year will run its course. I also know my son is growing up. My heart swells with pride (the good kind) to witness his growth in responsibility. My face lights up to see him exhibit adult-like character. My eyes fill with tears to think of him maturing. I love that boy so much. I'm overcome with emotion when I catch glimpses of my boy turning into a man...

4 comments:

  1. That's my son. I enjoyed sitting with him tonight doing a 'text walk' through his new Geography book that he got today. There hasn't been one complaint about how much he needs to write...another thing that our sixth grader had difficulty completing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And his Grandma is filled with emotion as well. I'm equally proud of him!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, those are ch-ch-ch-changes! How exciting to witness. Praise God!

    ReplyDelete