July 28, 2009

Sarah's Sob Story

I was downstairs helping Hannah with something when Sarah came down and stood next to us with a melancholy look on her face. I asked her what was wrong and she broke into tears...big, all-out sobbing tears...and said, "I DID SOMETHING REALLY BAD!"

This statement comes from a girl who for the most part is unfazed by her messes and wrong-doing. A girl who cried, "Why would you do that to me?" when she got her mouth washed out with soap. A girl who drips syrup all over the floor and then just leaves it. A girl who regularly tips things over, creates huge "play" messes, and gets into tussles with her siblings without so much as an "oops". So my mind started going places...

Sarah was so beside herself that she couldn't speak so I just said, "Show me." I cautiously allowed Sarah to lead me upstairs telling myself to stay calm no matter what I saw. Hey, she confessed, that's got to count for something. I brace myself as she points to the dining room. I see nothing but Dudley sunning himself on the floor. She points to the cat who looks just fine to me. The tears start coming even faster and harder (if that were even possible). Realizing this was probably not as big a deal as Sarah thought it was, I relax and start questioning,

"Did you step on him?"
"No!"
"Does it have to do with Dudley?"
"MmHmm."
"What happened?"

Sarah doesn't respond. Then I see it. There's a little bit of hair missing from Dudley's back :o) "Oh, I see. You cut Dudley's hair."
"Yeah."
"Why did you do that?"
"I don't know. I wasn't thinking."
"Were you thinking no one would notice?"
"Yes. I thought you wouldn't be able to tell, but now he looks ugly!" More tears...
"It's OK Sarah. You know you shouldn't cut anyone's hair, even the cat's. But I'm glad you told me instead of trying to hide it."
"But LOOK at him!"

I now realize her main concern is that Dudley will be doomed to live with this imperfection for the rest of his life and that she'll be forced to feel the guilt every time she looks at him knowing she caused this. (Horrible thought to a girl who adores animals more than life itself)

"It'll grow back honey."
Tears immediately slow down, "It will?"
"Yes, it'll grow back and you won't even be able to tell. Now love Dudley up and tell him you're sorry."
A tiny giggle..."Mommy, he doesn't even understand me!"
"He understands that you love him and want to take care of him."
"Don't tell Daddy, OK?"

(OK. Is it all right for me to blog about it though? :o)





As you can see, Dudley is doing just fine...that tiny little spot is what caused all of this.

1 comment: