November 12, 2009

Moving On

We've come to the end of our homeschooling days over here. The girls will re-enter the public school system on Monday. We'd been praying about this decision for about a month now, and have decided this is what is best for our family. School has gone much better this year than it did last year. Attitudes are very much improved. In theory, we love homeschooling; in practice, we struggle. Our reasoning for homeschooling never really had to do with academics, although at one point we were excited about the opportunity for a more individualized approach. Many homeschoolers report a renewed love for learning in their children when they homeschool - that their children were somewhat stifled in the school system. I'm sad to report the opposite in our family. Our children are now more resistant and bored with academics than ever. Where they used to love school and the academics that came with it, they now view their work as something to check off the list so they can move on to something more exciting. They are extremely discouraged and resistant to learning and being corrected by their mother. I'm sure there are things that I, as the teacher, could do differently, but I'm ill-equipped and unmotivated to do so. I do not have a teacher's heart. I have a discipler's heart. The "spiritual" aspects of homeschooling met with eager and receptive hearts from both mom and children. We love reading books together (esp. missionary biographies). AWANA verses and Bible study time are highlights of our day. Our desire in homeschooling was to disciple our children in the Lord. This is still our heart. Homeschooling was what we felt we needed to do for a time in order to do our best for Him. We've learned a lot in this last year - the children did too. Our relationships in our family have been strengthened. Homeschooling was not a mistake for our family; it's just time to move on...

I've had many thoughts and feelings in the past few weeks...Am I a quitter? Am I a failure? Did I do enough? Am I just lazy? What will people think? What is God calling me to (rather than away from)? Mostly though, I just felt relief...

In the past couple of days, God has released me from any burden I had put on myself. I am as excited for the girls to go back to school as they are. I feel like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders. I'm hopeful. I'm prayerful. I'm moving on...

Nedra

5 comments:

  1. Yay! Nedra, I am proud of you guys! I have always thought that generally speaking, parents who homeschool their children are the parents who don't need to homeschool their children. I firmly believe that Christ in your home has given your kids such a solid foundation that they will affect the school more than the school will affect your kids. Publus school needs children like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure this decision was not easy, but if God-led, it will be the right one. You mentioned that the girls will re-enter the public school system. Will Ethan continue to be homeschooled?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ethan already went back to school at the beginning of this school year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. interesting news! I'm glad you feel relief and peace about this decision. i'm sure it wasn't easy! I can't wait to see what's next for you and the girls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete